Trauma can silence us, if we let it.
It will shroud our stories and experiences in shame and fear and leave us feeling powerless.
But we are not powerless. With the right guidance, we can reclaim our voices and start telling our stories in a way that not only empowers us, but others, as well.
Our stories matter.
How could God let that happen?
I can’t tell anyone; I’m too ashamed.
How am I supposed to move forward from this?
I never had the time to deal with my grief…
We all experience grief and trauma.
Whether it was the loss of a loved one, the betrayal of a friend or spouse, a false accusation, or unforgettable abuse, we each carry with us some things that we were never meant to carry alone.
First Peter 5:7 says, “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.”
He cares about you!
God sees you in your hurt, my friend. And He is ready to meet you in your healing.
Introducing Journal Gently
Journal Gently is an 8-week program designed to help you use writing as a way to process hurt, grief, and trauma with God.
>> Trauma-sensitive approach
Specifically designed for those seeking to write after experiencing deep grief or hardship.
>> Gentle pace
Plenty of time to reflect on and explore what you are learning. Go as slow or as fast as you’d like.
>> Safe + sacred space
Private email correspondence that allows you to ask the questions you have or to have someone witness your story.
>> Personalized support
1:1 guidance from a certified writing guide and spiritual director, so you receive the encouragement, prayer, and support you desire.
>> Power of choice
You choose what to write about and how much you want to share.
>> Holistic care
Care for your heart, soul, mind, and body as you do the holy work of healing.
What does Journal Gently look like?
Receive audio training each Monday in your inbox, along with a short reading and corresponding writing exercises and spiritual practices.
- Week 1: A Room of One’s Own
- Week 2: Begin Writing
- Week 3: Self-Care
- Week 4: The Writing Body
- Week 5: Genres
- Week 6: Topics
- Week 7: Creating Wholeness
- Week 8: Expressing the Wordless
Along with each training, you’ll be invited to respond to me about the process of writing. This is your chance to ask questions, share any of your writing you’d like to share (never any pressure here!), or otherwise discuss with me what you are learning.
There are no live meetings; this is designed as an email program where you get personal and direct access to me in a private setting.
The next round starts October 3, 2022. The cost is $197.
During our time together in Journal Gently, you’ll be able to…
- Create a space for writing and reflecting
- Explore a writing rhythm and routine that works for you
- Discover writing exercises and spiritual practices that lend themselves to healing and reflection
- Pay attention to what the process of writing reveals about what is going on inside of you
- Name how God is inviting you to respond
Plus, you’ll receive recommendations for further reading and writing.
“Kari is wise and speaks to the heart of why our very desire to be with God stands in the way of experiencing Him. Her workshop left me feeling full and ready to receive. Kari’s gift is permission to open the heart to ‘let the words find me,’ to manage the expectations of what the space is about – not to produce something, but to wait, invite, and prepare.”
Charlotte E., journaling workshop participant
Hi, I’m Kari.
I have been writing ever since I was a little girl–journaling, crafting poems and short stories, writing devotionals and Bible studies for church.
But there came a time when my writing was taken away from me.
And I lost my words.
It took several years for me to recover what I had lost, to let God redeem those experiences and bring me even closer to Him.
The process of writing and journaling has been one of the greatest gifts God has given me to reflect on what I have experienced.
But more than that, it has been one of the places where I have met and experienced God Himself.
And I’d love to support you as you use writing to meet with Him, too.
Training & Certifications
- Certified Writing Guide, Write Your Self (a trauma-sensitive approach to writing)
- Certified Painted Prayers Instructor
- Walking Through the Narrow Gate spiritual formation program, Victory Noll Center
- Spiritual Direction with Children with Lacy Borgo, Companioning Center
- Creating Space for Kids to Encounter God with Melissa J. MacDonald
- Professional Coach Certification, International Coach Academy
- Using Writing, Play, + Art to Connect with God
- Gospel-Centered Soul Care
- The Benedictine Vows of Stability, Fidelity, + Obedience